Sunday, November 2, 2008

Teepe's any one?




Well, I'm not much of a writter, but I am going to give this a try.

This fall I started my first year in college, University of Missouri St. Louis (hurrah!). Music has been the choice I made for studying. UMSL really has a fabulous programm for music students. Classical to Jazz, its good. The choral and vocal faculty are unbelievable. However, UMSL does NOT have a folk programm to the depth that I would like. Istead of studying reels and jigs, I'm studying Aria's and Opera's. So, there is my delemma.
Now, one awesome thing about UMSL is they bring in Artist from all over, especially Irish and Scottish musicians. The other week Brian McNeil was here giving us a 40 minute show/lecture. Last week we had Micheal Black, I got to talk with both of them about my delemma. They suggested the university of Newcastle in England. Or if I really wanted to be gutsy, University College Limerick or Cork. The problem is, these are all very competative school to get into. I decided to go with Newcastle. I have had correspondence with the director of their BM irish folk/trad programm and he is awaiting my audtion recordings. Which are in the making. I'm so nervous!!! I don't have a large repitoire of folk music yet, but I am trying my best for this audition. Pray and wish me luck. I would really really love to study over in England. Its way up north, just next to the Scottish boarder, just a fairy ride away from Ireland.

So far, dorm life has been pretty good to me. RHA is amazing!
I have made to many friends to all type on here, but so far probably my closest friends at the dorm are MAREN!!! Matt W. andd umm a few more people, but for now I am going to focus on them. Maren is probably the sweetest gal I have ever met. She comes from Oregon and is a very good Violist. She and I are in the same Theory class, Matt also. Maren was homeschooled like myself and has red hair, only her's is natural. We run back and forth to eachothers floors and hang out, rant to eachother, run into eachother's arms when being goofy, laugh and talk about all the serious matters of life. A true best girl friend. (not to exclude my other bes girls)





My room is a pretty good size, it's very pleasant Oak Hall has four private rooms to a suite, we all share a bathroom.
One of the joys of a private room is being able to have my Icon's up and say my prayers by myself. Of course I'm not saying you should only say your prayers by yourself but it could be awkward to have a room mate sitting there while your saying your Lenten prayers, prostrations, etc.

OOooo, one of the perks of being a music student at UMSL, FREE SYMPHONY TICKETS!! Many times we will have friends like Stephen(love you!), or Ranita who either get tickets for free or for around $10 dollars. The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is really amazing. I have been blessed to attend around 5 times now. With a couple more planned. I love it, the music is fanaminal!

Well, right now I am sitting at my mom's apartment in House Springs, MO, where I normally spend my weekends. I will do my laundry, get more food and go to church here. Then go back on Sunday evening. It's a nice set up. :)

Well, I guess thats it for now.

Any questions?

1 comment:

nateinbg said...

I think it is really cool that you have started your own blog, Bekah!

Of course, my first question is why the nickname, RebekahSarah, to which I am sure there is an obvious and easy answer!

I look forward to getting a chance to meeting some of your friends...they sound like a nice bunch of people!

love ya, your bro